The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof [crap] detector. This is the writer's radar and all great writers have had it.
Ernest Hemingway

Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do - not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad.
Stephen King

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Things I Carry

The Things Within
Only liars move without burden.
We all carry.
I carry my backpack
And the the things within it.
I carry my clothes
And my life within them.
My books weigh on my back.
My pens and pencils and papers.
I carry them allAnd the knowledge within them.
I carry them allAnd I use every one of them.
I wear, without fail, a necklace about my throat.
It probably cost nothing.
But it means everything.
I carry itAnd the love within it.
I loveAnd I feel its wonderful load.
Smile.Even when it's not bright.
It's the weight made of seventeen muscles.
And the happiness within them.
Share the burden with others
And the joy within it.
We all live.
I live.
Eventually, we all die.
Live like you die tomorrow
Love like you have no tomorrow
Carry your burdens faithfully
And the things within them.

No comments:

Post a Comment