The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof [crap] detector. This is the writer's radar and all great writers have had it.
Ernest Hemingway

Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do - not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad.
Stephen King

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Fighting With My Parents

I don't argue with my parents. Spiritual and political discussions are just that: discussions. Especially between my father and I, we are very nearly in complete accord constantly. Most of the times that I find myself on the opposite side, my father can generally persuade me to his side. I can't help that he is always right.
So, arguments...I've never raised my voice at my parents. The idea of yelling at them is foreign and awful to me. They trust me with the use of my time, my car, my social life, and much more.The closest thing that I could write on this blog would be my mother's intermittent intrusions. Now, let me be clear, she is more than justified when she does so. They usually revolve around my failure to "help out" around the house. My mother is a machine. She works night shift, comes home, sleeps, wakes up, does it again--for generally a stretch of five days. Then she has several days of free time. What does she do with herself? She works at home.
My mother expects the same from me when I return from work or school. It's not unreasonable, but I don't feel the urge to do so. That's my folly in reality. I just need to get off my lazy butt and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment