The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof [crap] detector. This is the writer's radar and all great writers have had it.
Ernest Hemingway

Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do - not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad.
Stephen King

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Dad's Bucket of Joy


“Good cigar, good beer, good fellowship, equals good life.”
Yes, that was my father. It was several years ago when we were sitting on the front porch, and he was passing on his genuine wisdom upon his youngest son. He told me to write it done—and I did.
All this talk of cigars and beer from who many would consider a very faithful minister and wise advisor. And, apparently, his life revolves around drinking and smoking, plus, he wants to thrust those habits onto his own son. Maybe it is all child abuse. Or maybe it is wisdom after all.
My father has never been an advocate for absentminded frivolity or gluttony. What he was trying to tell me those years ago on that tranquil evening was simply this: enjoy life.
Warning signals may have already flagged me down. Is it not an awful idea to tell a teenager to enjoy life? My father’s advice has provided me with an enriched life.
Too often, we are drawn in by our busy schedules that we forget to enjoy our lives. We tie our world together by our next meeting or by our next paycheck. We are so desperate to succeed that we, in fact, fail. Success is not measured in the money we make or the prestige we reap, but in the happiness we find in ourselves and the joy we create in others. I hope to rest peacefully in my grave when me epitaph is inscribed, “He found joy in his life, and, in others, brought forth joy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment