The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof [crap] detector. This is the writer's radar and all great writers have had it.
Ernest Hemingway

Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do - not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad.
Stephen King

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Minor Characters

A long time ago, in a galaxy
far, far away…

Well, actually, it was West Virginia which is only a couple hundred miles. To me, it seems like an eternity ago.
When I was living there, my brothers and I attended a martial arts class hosted by our YMCA. We were taught by a very distinguished sensei and his friend. Our sensei, Sensei Humphreys was a level five black belt and, therefore, was disciplined, tough, and adept in several forms of karate. Learning from him was, without a doubt, a tremendous blessing. My two brothers and I reached green belt through his tutelage, but our course was suddenly ended when Sensei Humphreys had knee surgery.
Of course the greatest impact sensei had on my life was Ryokoshinkan (or however the heck you spell it), a martial art form he developed mixing basic teachings of several karate styles. He taught me confidence and responsibility and succeeded in keeping three teenage boys entertained two nights a week. There were times I lost interest in karate, but I never lost my respect for my teacher. Sensei Humphreys is tough, disciplined, and patient—all good characteristics for any teacher.


That's all the minor characters for now.
Would all the minor characters please stand up?

No comments:

Post a Comment