The most essential gift for a good writer is a built-in, shockproof [crap] detector. This is the writer's radar and all great writers have had it.
Ernest Hemingway

Fiction writers, present company included, don't understand very much about what they do - not why it works when it's good, not why it doesn't when it's bad.
Stephen King

If you would not be forgotten as soon as you are dead, either write things worth reading or do things worth writing.
Benjamin Franklin

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Master and the Apprentice

Richard Wright - I'm sure that some of his students have different feelings towards him, but Richard Wright has been one of my best instructors in all my high school days. From day one of his class, he instills some manner of trepidation in you, but you soon discover that he has a keen desire to see his students succeed, a heavily qualified background, and a warm sense of humor. He has taught me how to manage my time by what I need to do personally and what I can easily leave by the proverbial wayside. Also, he's reminded me that everything can't be all business; sometimes, I have to just crack a few jokes.
Bonjour Kayla!

Pam Tomerlin - Working with her these past two years has been a wonderful experience. Especially this past year, she has allowed me to exercise some of my own visions. Although we haven't always agreed, she has believed in me--and that is a trait which I must emulate.

Karen Higgins - A day in her classroom: NO REALLY!!!! IT WASN'T LEE HARVEY OSWALD!!! CONSPIRACIES! Also, did you know I went to Gettysburg one time.

Julie Pittman - Respect is demanded (and I believe required) towards teachers. Students have much to learn from their teachers and should submit to that authority. Few teachers, however, show his or her students the same respect. Julie Pittman treats her pupils as adults. Sure, she correctly expects that her students submit to her authority, do their assignments, and generally just be reasonable human beings, but Mrs. Pittman has a certain passion for the job. She has to have some. I've never had a teacher more qualified: Mrs. Pittman has extensive education and considerable experience teaching. The fact that she condescended to leave college professorship and become a high school teacher shows me her faithfulness to me and to my peers. And this is her greatest lesson to me that in my life to come I would do things that I enjoy, that are fulfilling--no matter what they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment